For buying a new policy call 094444 48899. For customer service call 1860 425 0000.
Search The Blog
Posted by Royal Sundaram on 28 Feb 2011
They say “there is no place like home”, for the comfort and sanctuary that it provides. But in our hectic efforts to choose the right shade of colour, Italian designer furniture, modular kitchen, it is so easy to overlook safety for the utopia we call home. It could be disaster in waiting if safety is not properly taken care of! So to ensure that your safe haven remains safe here are some easy steps.
Keeping the intruder at bay – We take great care to keep our house pest free, yet we don’t take the same amount of effort to keep check on unexpected guests. Few simple steps can keep your home “intruder-free”.
- A simple yet very effective tip is to have a good peephole and door safety chain. An upgrade to that would be wireless video doorbell which conveniently allows you to take a look at the unknown visitor in a monitor inside your home. It is recommended that such unidentified visitors are dealt behind the safety of a grill or with the door safety chain on!
- They say a chain is as strong as the weakest link. Similarly a house would be as secure as the lock guarding it. Invest in some good quality locks.
- Statistics has shown that most forced entries take place from an unsecured window or secondary door, so securing them is very important. Don’t mount grills on window frames, but embed it in with cement.
- If you live in a building or a close neighbourhood, setting up a neighbourhood watch is good detriment for burglars.
Keeping accidents away – A few precautionary measures goes a long way in preventing accidents or minimising its impact.
- We love our modern day electricity hungry appliances, gadgets and gizmos, we can’t imagine a single day without them, but at the same time we should remember that electricity gods will punish any lack of respect! To start off, get a knowledgeable licensed electrician to assess the health of wirings and outlets. Any electrical issue should be dealt on priority basis.
- Child-proof your house if you have kids and/or pets. Keep any electrical appliances, sharp objects, hazardous chemical like cleaning fluids and medicines at a safe distance from children and pets.
- Invest in a good fire extinguisher and make sure it is ready-to-use all the time.
- If you use a LPG cylinder, follow safety precautions by switching it off at night and changing the pipe regularly.
- You should have an anti-skid mat in your bathroom and places prone to wet floor, especially if you have senior citizens in your home.
As the old adage goes, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Follow these simple steps and make your “Home sweet Home” a “Home safe Home” too!
Get 50% Long-term discount for 15 Years. Get the advantage of Royal Sundaram Home Insurance Online. Click here to know more.
Join over 25,000
of your peers and receive our italk (insurance talk) newsletter with actionable advice on travel, motor, health and home needs right in your inbox!
*We won't spam you, promise