For buying a new policy call 094444 48899. For customer service call 1860 425 0000.
Search The Blog
Posted by Royal Sundaram on 28 Jan 2011
Lighting is not just about illuminating a room, but an integral part of decoration. The right lighting breathes life into a room and makes it look vibrant. Lighting a room badly may strip the beauty of your home, no matter how well you decorate it!
In this post, we will give you some tips about good lighting.
- The first step is planning. Scan your room and analyse what you would like to achieve.There are 3 types of lighting-
- General lighting – for the whole room.
- Task lighting – for a particular purpose, such as reading.
- Accent lighting – to complement a showpiece.
You have to use a mix and match of these techniques to make a room look radiant.
- Let’s consider ideas for each room, individually –
- Hall : Hall is the space where we watch T.V, entertain guests, etc.For bright lighting, instead of one strong light, go for 4 different ones of lower wattage at different areas of hall.Use warmer colours (which nowadays are available even in tube lights).Highlight paintings and showcase pieces separately with picture lights.It requires a combination of dull and bright lighting.For dull lighting (for watching TV), go for wall washers or up lighters.
- Dining :Chandeliers or a combination of hanging lights or pendants are perfect for Dining room. If you have any decorative pieces in the room, highlight it with picture lights.For a rack of classy crockery, you can illuminate it beautifully with halogen lamps.
- Bedroom : Bedside lamps are a must for bedroom! You can get elegant lamps at affordable prices.Affix lamps on sides of dressing table. Illuminate your wardrobe as well.For general lighting, go for wall lights or pendant lights.
- Kid’s room :Your kids’ room needs a lamp for studying.For general lighting, wall lights with a translucent frame would be just right. You can also go for multiple tube lights to make it really bright.Dimmers can be especially useful, in your kids’ room.
- Kitchen :Light your cooking area and shelves or cabinets separately.For the cooking area, go for either down lighters or hanging lights, or a combination of both, which would serve the purpose for general lighting as well.For shelves and cabinets, you can use clip lights or fluorescent bulbs.
- Bathroom : For bathrooms, go for multiple low-wattage down lighters.Use dimmers to vary light as per requirement during daytime.Use a separate sidelight – lamp near mirrors, which can be really useful for shaving, and adds a nice effect to your bathroom too!
It’s a good idea to visit a showroom to get an idea of the lights available and you can plan better.
Once you’ve drawn a plan, get a quote from an electrician. You would get an estimate of the sockets, rewiring which needs to be done. Re-plan if you need to, to meet your budget and go for it! You’d love your home in a new light!
Contents of your home are just as precious as your home. Insure it with Royal Sundaram Home Content Insurance Online.
Join over 25,000
of your peers and receive our italk (insurance talk) newsletter with actionable advice on travel, motor, health and home needs right in your inbox!
*We won't spam you, promise