For buying a new policy call 094444 48899. For customer service call 1860 425 0000.

Royal Sundaram iTalk

insurance blog from Royal Sundaram

What’s The Paperwork Required When You Buy a Second hand Bike

Posted by Royal Sundaram on 19 Apr 2018


Buying Used Bike? Here are few questions which you need answers to:

Most people harbour a wish to own a bike at least once in their lives. And yet many people cannot due to the price pinch it attracts. It is during such scenarios that buying a second-hand bike makes the most sense. You get to own your favourite model at affordable prices and see your wish come true.

However, buying a second-bike does require a bit of work on all the paperwork. Right from the two-wheeler policy transfer to NOC and more; there are many questions which you need answers to.

  1. A. Why Do You Need The RC Book?

It is an official document that is proof the registration of the bike. When you buy a second-hand bike, receiving the RC book from the seller is an absolute must. Check it and see if the details mentioned in it about the bike and owner are correct. You will need the book to transfer ownership at the RTO.

  1. B. Is The Insurance Certificate Necessary?

Yes, for any motor vehicle plying on Indian roads, it needs to have insurance. Without it, RTO will not register your bike. The seller has to provide you with the insurance certificate. Once you receive it, contact the insurer to transfer the ownership. If the policy isn’t active, you can go for a bike insurance renewal or go for a new plan altogether.

  1. C. What Is PUC certificate?

Pollution under Control (PUC) is mandatory for bikes more than six-months-old. It is a certificate provided after the bike clears tests for its pollution emission levels. PUC contains the serial number of the certificate, license plate number of vehicle tested, date of test, the expiry date of the certificate, and the test readings. Make sure you ask for this certificate at the time of purchase. A cop can ask for it during routine checks.

  1. D. What Are The Necessary Forms?

There are three forms which need to be submitted to the RTO.

  • * Form 28: It’s the No Objection Certificate (NOC). The seller should submit three copies.
  • * Form 29: It’s the form which notifies the RTO about the sale of the bike. The seller has to submit two copies.
  • * Form 30: It is the form that acts as confirmation of Form 29. You need to submit this to the RTO. Two copies.


  1. E. Is Sales Receipt Necessary?

Yes, it is necessary to get the sales receipt with the signature from the seller or the Original Purchase Invoice if you buy the bike from a dealer.

Right from insurance for bikes to riding them, these are the documents that are a must when you buy a second-hand bike.


Other Related Articles:

Related Post

Join over 25,000

of your peers and receive our italk (insurance talk) newsletter with actionable advice on travel, motor, health and home needs right in your inbox!

*We won't spam you, promise

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *