Car Insurance Claim Process: Everything you Need to Know
A good car insurance policy from a reputed insurance provider does nearly everything to protect your car against damage. Be it a new car or an old one, we carry out enough research to pick out a suitable plan for our vehicle’s needs. However, when it comes to the car insurance claim process, most of us are quite clueless. Depending on which insurance provider you buy insurance from, the claim process can either be difficult or hassle-free.
Therefore, when you need to file a claim for damages, it is better if you know a few important things. These pertain to the car insurance claim process and will considerably ease the process of filing a claim.
Types of car insurance claims
When the need arises, you can either file a cashless claim or a reimbursement claim on car insurance. It depends on which one seems more convenient as per the situation.
Cashless car insurance claim:
For cashless claims, the insured or the policyholder does not have to directly pay for damages at the insurance provider’s network car garage. The insurer settles the claims at the garage/workshop for the policyholder if the given damages are covered under the insurance policy.
Generally, if you are involved in an accident where there are minor damages to your car, it is a cashless claim that can be useful here.
Reimbursement car insurance claim:
In this scenario, the insurer pays the affected third party directly for the damages. The same amount can be reimbursed by the insurer later on. However, that will also depend on the terms and conditions of the policy.
For example, it is not necessary that the damaged third-party vehicle should have been repaired at a network garage of the policyholder’s insurer. However, while filing a reimbursement claim, the policyholder should submit the repair bills to the insurer.
The claim process will be different for different situations where you need to file a claim for damage or theft.
Filing a claim for third party damage
If you are involved in an accident where a third-party vehicle or person has been damaged or injured, this is how you can file a claim for the same:
- In case you get a notice from the third party, inform your insurer first.
- Also submit a copy of the notice, the RC (registration certificate) book of the car, the driving license and the FIR.
- Once the documents are verified and found satisfactory, the insurer will appoint a lawyer for you.
- In case the court directs you to pay the third party, the insurance company will make the payment on your behalf.
Filing a claim for damages to your vehicle
If you are to file a claim for the damages to your own car, then –
- You will have to fill and submit a claim form to the insurance company. You can do the same online on the insurer’s website.
- This will be accompanied by some essential documents such as the driving license and the registration certificate.
- Also, inform your insurer before you send the car to the garage for repair. The company will send a surveyor to examine the damages.
- After the surveyor assesses the damages and makes a report, you as well as your insurer will receive a copy each.
- The car can then go to the garage for repair, after which you will have to submit a copy of the bills to the surveyor who passes it on to your insurer.
- Once the documents and the bills have been examined and verified, the insurance company will reimburse the bills.
Filing a claim for your stolen car
When your car is stolen, you should immediately take the following steps:
- Lodge a complaint with the police and file an FIR.
- Make a copy of the FIR and send it to your insurer.
- You will also have to send a copy of the final police report to your insurer.
- After this, you will also have to submit the RC book of the car to your insurer. The insurance company will replace the owner’s name with the insurer’s name.
- For this, you will also have to give them the duplicate car keys and a subrogation letter (for transferring the rights). This will include submission of a notarized indemnity on a stamp paper.
- The insurance company will reimburse you once all the formalities are complete and all documents have been verified.
It is important to be aware of all the terms and conditions while filing a claim with your insurer. Indeed, when a situation confronts us, we may end up panicking. However, remember that following the process carefully will help go through the claim process smoothly.
To make sure that you can conveniently file a claim when needed, you can select a robust car insurance policy of your choice from Royal Sundaram.