Cervical Spondylosis Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment & Insurance | Royal Sundaram
Cervical Spondylosis, also known as cervical osteoarthritis, refers to a condition in which there are degenerative changes such as bone spurs in the spine. In this condition, the disc of the cervical spine gradually breaks down, loses fluid and becomes stiffer.
The development of this condition is mainly due to ageing. However, there are other reasons as well that can lead to cervical Spondylosis.
- Bone spurs
- Dehydrated spinal discs
- Herniated discs
- Ligament Stiffness
The severe pain one goes through cervical Spondylosis needs to be treated. Health insurance will enable you to avail the benefits of first-class treatment.
People who are suffering from cervical Spondylosis don’t have significant symptoms immediately. These symptoms may vary from mild to severe and grow gradually.
One of the most common symptoms of Spondylosis is pain around the shoulder bladder. Other common symptoms are-
- Stiffness around the neck
- Severe headaches on the backside of your head
- Tingling and numbness in the shoulder, arms and legs
- Pain in the arms and fingers
- Loss of balance
- Loss of bladder control and bowel moment
The pain of Spondylosis can occur in the cervical spine (neck), thoracic spine (upper and mid-back) or even in your lumbar spine (your lower back).
To sail through this tough time, one needs to have medical insurance that takes care of your complete medical expenses.
Diagnosis of cervical Spondylosis is conducted by a specialist who studies your medical history. The diagnostic test is sub-divided into two parts.
- Firstly the doctor will ask you many questions and discovers your problems that are relatable to Spondylosis
- He may ask you to perform some basic physical tests like walking around, or a few exercises to determine the pressure on your nerves and spinal cord
- X-rays, to check your bone spurs and other abnormalities
- CT scan to examine your neck bones in detail
- MRI scan helps to locate pinched nerves using radio waves and magnetic field
- Myelogram is a dye injection that gives a detailed highlight of certain areas
- An Electromyogram and Nerve Conduction study is to measure nerves electrical activity
Spondylosis treatment and Cost in India
Spondylosis requires to be treated by an expert and the utmost care from the patients’ end is needed as well. The treatment focuses on providing pain relief to help you lead a normal life and lowering the risk of permanent damage.
The non-surgical methods are quite effective in the treatment of Spondylosis. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Physical Therapy- A physical therapist makes you move your neck, shoulder, and arms around to bring your muscles in motion. This makes your nerves stronger and helps you relieve the pains
- Medications- medications like cyclobenzaprine, hydrocodone, gabapentin will help you to relieve the pain. Doctors may even suggest steroid injections like prednisone and diclofenac to reduce inflammation
If your condition is severe, and the therapies and medications are ineffective, you might need surgery. Doctors rarely recommend surgery, usually to older people who cannot bear the pain. Health insurance for senior citizen will easily cover the expenses if any surgery is prescribed.
Surgery will remove your bone spurs and herniated discs to give your spinal cord and nerves space to move around.
Insurance in India
In India, the cost of medical treatment is immensely high and on a continuous rise. The hospitalization expenses, treatment cost, surgery and medicine cost are all outraging.
In this scenario, having a health insurance policy can safeguard us from uncertainties of such medical emergencies.
However, a majority of people in India have yet not invested in health insurance for family and put their family’s health needs at stake.
No doubt there has been a gradual improvement in the industry, lack of knowledge and awareness has been the pivotal reason for the low insurance ratio in India, which needs to be addressed.
With changing climatic conditions and its impact on us, we need to secure your healthcare needs. You can seek advice from the insurance broker, understand the policy and claim settlement ratio and invests in the best health insurance. The best insurance provider will cover the majority of the diseases without any conditions.
Even if you exercise and eat just right, you will still encounter some challenges as you grow older. These problems cannot be addressed with lifestyle changes or OTC medications. Many seniors face a fragile bone problem, which means their bones are less dense and more prone to breaks and fractures.
Investing in a health insurance policy will help you to overcome these old aged challenges with ease.
- Metabolic bone diseases
- Easy fracture due to fragile bones
- Hip Dysplasia