Gallbladder Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment & Insurance | Royal Sundaram
The gallbladder is an organ that is situated below the liver. The primary function of gallbladder is to store bile and to release it into the small intestine to aid the digestion process. Bile is a liquid that helps the body get rid of the waste by breaking down fat.
There are several diseases associated with the gallbladder. Some of the common diseases related to gallbladder include gallstones, cholecystitis, gallbladder infection etc.
Excess cholesterol or solidified bile can lead to gallstones. This can be a painful condition which may require immediate medical assistance. If a gallstone blocks the bile duct, it can cause swelling in the gallbladder leading to a complicated disease known as cholecystitis. Let us study in detail about symptoms of these conditions and what can be done for early diagnosis. Read on!
Symptoms for Gallbladder Conditions
When Gallstones are stuck in the bile duct, sudden pain can occur in the abdomen, particularly between the rib cage and belly button. The pain can even spread to the shoulder area. Some of the other symptoms of Gallstones are as follows:
- Chills and shivering
- Loss of appetite
- Dark coloured urine
- Skin itching
- Stomach pain lasting for hours
- Fatty food triggering the pain
Symptoms of cholecystitis are as follows:
- Yellowing of the skin
- Abdominal swelling
- Fever, nausea, vomiting
Cholecystitis can be chronic as a result of long-term inflammation in the gallbladder. Chronic cholecystitis can cause further complications such as gallbladder infection.
Diagnosis of a Gallbladder Condition
- The first step to diagnose a gallbladder condition is a physical examination. Your doctor may ask you about the symptoms of abdominal pain, discomfort after eating food, etc.
- Some doctors may also recommend blood tests and/or urine tests for detailed analysis.
- An ultrasound can be recommended as it can accurately detect gallstones, swelling of the gallbladder, thickening of gallbladder walls, and fluid around the gallbladder.
- Advanced imaging technology can also be used to detect gallbladder conditions. Such tests, including CT scan and MRI, are recommended if doctors are not sure of the diagnosis.
Treatment for Gallbladder Conditions and Cost in India
Gallstones do not cause any problem until they are stuck in the duct, the condition that leads to cholecystitis. An individual with acute or chronic cholecystitis will need treatment under proper hospital environment.
The main objective of doctors will be to
- Keep a check on symptoms and use measures to control them
- Medication to reduce the inflammation in the gallbladder
Based on the severity of the symptoms, doctors may recommend a few steps, such as:
- Fasting to reduce the inflammation of the gallbladder
- A fluid diet to prevent dehydration
Gallbladder issues can cause severe infection and to prevent the same your doctor may prescribe antibiotics which aid in fighting infection. The Doctor may also prescribe pain relief medicines to tackle abdominal pain.
In a few cases, the patient may need to undergo surgery for gallbladder removal and is known as Cholecystectomy. Recovery after Cholecystectomy takes only about a week. This type of surgery can get complicated for patients with pre-existing heart conditions or individuals with diabetes.
Your doctor may recommend dietary changes a week before the surgery. A person can lead a normal life post removal of the gallbladder.
The average cost of this surgery in India is Rs 1-2 Lakhs.
Health Insurance in India
As stated above, the cost of gallbladder removal surgery is all the savings that a middle-class individual may possess. To be able to afford expensive medical treatment, it is imperative to have a health insurance plan. Health insurance plan in India is beneficial in many ways. Not only it is an advantage for individuals but the entire family. Here is how a medical insurance plan will save you from falling into financial debt.
- Cost of surgery, including pre and post hospitalisation, will be covered by your insurance provider.
- An ideal health insurance plan will offer you a comprehensive cover, including benefits for your family.
- Most health policies also cover the cost of medicines as well as expenses incurred during diagnostic procedures.
- Insured can avail cashless facilities at the listed hospitals. It means you don’t have to go through the entire claim submission process. Your insurance provider will directly clear your bills with the hospital.
- Benefits and coverage may vary from provider to provider. Check with your company or read the policy documents carefully before availing a health insurance plan.
Some of the other diseases and complication related to the gallbladder are as follows:
- Intestinal conditions
- Celiac disease
- Death of gallbladder tissue
- Torn gallbladder
To know whether the above conditions are covered in your health insurance policy, get in touch with your insurance provider.