Urinary incontinence Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment & Insurance | Royal Sundaram
Urinary incontinence is a condition in which an individual accidentally and involuntarily leaks urine even when they do not want to. This means they either have no control or a weak control over their sphincter.
Urinary incontinence is a common problem of bladder control. The severity of it ranges from occasional leakage when one coughs or sneezes to a sudden crazy and uncontrollable urge to urinate. The occurrence of this problem is common among the elderly.
If urinary incontinence is resulting in major discomfort in your regular activities, you must visit a doctor and get it treated. If your treatment results in hospitalization, then having a good health insurance policy will take care of your medical expenses.
Urinary incontinence symptoms
Urinary incontinence is a common problem; often people experience it when they are going through a range of emotions. The symptoms of it are also quite obvious, it includes-
- Stress incontinence- This may include coughing, sneezing, laughing, lifting or exercising.
- Urge incontinence- This may include urge after hearing the sound of running water, change in position or even during sex.
- Overflow incontinence-This may include a damaged bladder or blocked urethra
- Functional incontinence- This includes poor dexterity, dementia, depression, and anxiety
- Mixed incontinence- This could be a result of stress and urge incontinence
Comprehensive medical insurance will help you secure your quality treatment to cure urinary incontinence problem.
Urinary incontinence diagnosis
Your doctor can diagnose urinary incontinence and determine the severity and treatment required for it.
This may include-
- Bladder check-up- He may ask questions on your habits like how much liquid you consume, how much urine is produced and the number of incontinence episodes
- Physical exam- A physical test of your private area to understand the strength of your pelvic tissue or to know if your prostate gland is enlarged
- Urinalysis- A series of tests have been carried out to study if there are any signs of infection and abnormalities
- Blood test- A simple blood test can help to assess Kidney function
- Cystogram – An X-Ray of the bladder
- Cystoscopy- A thin tube inserted in the urethra to check if there were any abnormalities
Urinary incontinence treatment and Cost in India
Treatment of urinary incontinence depends on the type and severity of it. Your doctor is likely to suggest treatments that are least invasive and only if other options fail, they try out other techniques.
- Behavioural techniques- This may include bladder training, scheduled bathroom trips and fluid and diet management
- Pelvic floor muscle exercise- These exercises will help you to control and strengthen the muscle that controls urination
- Medications- Medications are a common treatment technique to cure this problem. Your doctor may include Anticholinergic, Mirabegron, Alpha-blockers, and tropical estrogen
- Surgery- If all these techniques fail, one can also go for surgeries, sling procedure that treats stress urinary incontinence, bladder neck suspension, Prolapse surgery, and artificial urinary sphincter
Other than that, one can also try home remedies like regularly cleaning yourself to avoid any Infectious complications, using barrier creams, and ask your doctor for special cleansers.
Urinary incontinence is a growing problem amongst the elderly, health insurance for senior citizen will help them afford quality medical services to cure themselves.
Insurance in India
The insurance industry in India has its subprime focus on the health sector. With the medical expenses being on a rise and deteriorating climate, having a comprehensive medical insurance policy is a good step that will help you to cover all the expenses you may incur during medical emergencies.
If you are the only breadwinner in the house, you need to secure your family’s health to be able to give them quality services in the time of need. The diagnosis and treatment of illnesses may disturb your budget. Investing in good health insurance for the family will help you secure your family’s medical needs.
There are many things you have to consider before you purchase an insurance policy as it may have an impact on your current financial well-being. Every insurance provider has an expert on board from whom you can seek advice from and accordingly purchase the best health insurance policy.
You can even surf online and find out the required information about different policies and insurance providers and then make a well-informed decision.
The current climatic scenario is quite vulnerable, and in the coming time, it may have an impact on our health. Along with climate change, our unhealthy diet and lifestyle choices have also degraded our health.
With the required change in our lifestyle choices, we can get rid of many health problems. Nevertheless, some need to be medically treated depending on their severity.
A health insurance policy in order will help us to be financially prepared for all the unseen medical crises.
Some other diseases like Urinary incontinence are-
- Kidney stone
- Croydon typhoid
- Urinary schistosomiasis
- Chronic kidney disease