For buying a new policy call 094444 48899. For customer service call 1860 425 0000.


FAQs on Home Shield Policies

Home Shield Online


Cover home's main structure
and boundary wall!

Questions about our Home Shield Insurance? Get your answers here!

Why do I need Home Insurance?
Your home is precious and worth Lakhs / Crores. It is not immune from perils such as fire accidents, floods, earthquake, etc. Disasters that last just seconds can drain your savings of years.

Insuring your home protects you from losing your hard-earned money, by covering perils such as fire accidents, earthquake, cyclone, riot or malicious damage, etc.
What are the perils covered under Home Insurance?
  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Explosion/Implosion
  • Damage caused by any aerial or space devices
  • Riot/Strike
  • Natural Disasters which damage property - such as Storm, Cyclone, Hurricane, Earthquake, etc
  • Damage caused by a vehicle (which does not belong to owner)
  • Landslide or Rock slide
  • Bursting / overflowing water tanks, pipes
  • Leakage from automatic sprinkler installation
  • Bush Fire
  • Earthquake (Fire and Shock) or other convulsions of nature.

What perils are not covered under Home Insurance?
Building and compound wall of Kutcha construction is not covered under Home Insurance.
Other important exclusions are:
  • Loss/damage caused by war or invasion
  • Loss/damage caused by radioactive contamination or explosives
  • Loss/damage caused by act of Terrorism (in case of long term policies above1 year)
  • Peril caused by pollution/contamination
  • Destruction or damage caused by wear and tear of the house
  • Impact damage caused by the Insured

Please refer the Policy's Terms and Conditions for more details.
What are the advantages of Royal Sundaram Home Shield?
  • Cover for home and boundary wall against perils such as fire accidents, earthquake, explosion / implosion, etc.
  • Instant coverage, without any documentation
  • Coverage of Architect's, Surveyor's and Consulting Engineer's fees (in case of a claim)
  • Online renewals of your Insurance Policy with Insta Renew
  • Reconstruction cost, subject to a maximum of Sum Insured, as per your policy.
  • Cover for Debris removal
  • Policy tenure from 1 to 15 years with long term discounts from 15% to 50%
  • ISO Certified Claims Process
What is meant by Kutcha Construction?
Building(s) with walls and/or roofs made of wooden planks / thatched leaves and/or grass / hay or any kind of bamboo / plastic cloth / asphalt / cloth / canvas / tarpaulin etc, is considered as 'Kutcha' construction.
Home buildings and boundary wall made of Kutcha construction are not covered by Home Shield Online Insurance.

What is Replacement/Reinstatement value?
It is the approximate cost that would be required to reconstruct the Property (after damage or destruction), to its present form. As per Standard Procedure, the Reconstruction cost includes the value of plinth and foundation. It does not include the value of the land.

How do I decide the worth of my home?
You can compare the construction cost, get estimates and then decide your home's  replacement/reinstatement value.

Under estimating the worth may not be adequate to cover Reconstruction cost on damage.

What are the documents required to avail Royal Sundaram Home Shield?
You can avail Royal Sundaram Home Shield without any paperwork or documentation! You can buy the Insurance Policy within 5 minutes from the comfort of your home, online.
Just visit our website -, fill the form, pay premium and enjoy a hassle-free insurance!
My home is damaged due to fire accident. Can I go ahead, do the repairs and send the bills for reimbursement?
If your home is damaged, DO NOT undertake the repairs. First, intimate us online and through our Customer Support by calling 1860 425 0000 or e-mail us at

Submit the duly filled Claim Form with an estimation of the repairs. We will send a Surveyor to your home to assess the damage. Only after we give a go ahead to your Claim, you can carry out the repairs, or we would unable to accept your Claim.

Once the repair/reconstruction work is completed, the Surveyor will revisit your home. You can send the bills and vouchers to us for reimbursement.

Please visit the Claims page for detailed information.
If my home is partially damaged. Can I make a claim?
Yes , you may make a claim even for partial damage.
If my TV gets damaged due to a peril covered by Insurance, can I make a claim for it?
Home Shield Insurance covers building only .TV, Fridge or other contents of your home are not covered. We offer a separate Policy for it. Please visit Royal Sundaram Home Content Insurance for more information.
What is long-term insurance? What are the benefits?
Long-term insurance is when you Insureyour home for  More than one year under a single policy by making a single payment instead of taking the pains of renewing an annual policy every year. When you insure your home for tenure of 3 or more years, you can avail a long term discount on Premium from 15% to 50%. Here is a list of the tenure of Insurance and the long-term discount you can avail.
Term of Insurance (Years) Long Term Discount (%)
3 15
4 20
5 25
6 30
7 35
8 40
9 45
10 50
11 50
12 50
13 50
14 50
15 - 20 50

Is compound wall included under Home Insurance?
Yes, Royal Sundaram Home Shield covers your home's building as well as compound wall, as long as it is not Kutcha Construction.

You can declare separate replacement/reinstatement value for home's building and boundary wall.

Can I increase the Sum Insured amount in my Policy?
Yes. You can increase it by paying premium for the increased sum insured for balance period of insurance.
Can I cancel my Policy? How much refund of Premium can I get if I cancel my Policy?
If you wish to cancel your Policy with Home Shield for any reason, you can do so. However if you have recorded interest of any financial institution who have funded for your home, then a No Objection letter from them should also be a part of your cancellation request.

Write to our Customer Support or call us and inform us about your wish to cancel We shall retain the premium for period under risk on short period rates. And refund the balance. For multi-year Policy, We shall calculate the fraction of year as full year while calculating period under risk.
Example:  If cover has been provided for 3 years and 3 months, Premium will be retained for 4 years.
I own a home let out for rent. Can I cover it?
Yes, you can insure your home, as long as it's occupied as Residence and not let out for commercial purposes. The home should not be a Kutcha Construction.

What is debris removal? Is it covered under the Policy?
If your home gets damaged, the damaged portion may occupy space. You would have to remove it to reconstruct your home.
We will reimburse the amount you spend for debris removal, subject to a maximum of 1% of the Claim amount.
How will the reimbursement be paid?
Once we receive your Claim, we will appoint a Surveyor to assess the damage. Based on the Surveyor's input, we will give a go ahead to the repairs.
You can carry out the repairs. The Surveyor will revisit your home to check on the completion. You can send all the bills to us.

Based on the Surveyor's input and Policy Terms and Conditions, we will reimburse you and dispatch a cheque.
If I need to reconstruct my home, what amount can I expect from the Insurance Company?
We will not pay a lump sum amount to reconstruct your home. We will reimburse the amount you spend to restore your home to its original form, subject to a maximum as per the Sum Insured of your Policy.
I wish to employ an Architect to restore my damaged home. Is it acceptable under the Policy?
Yes, you can employ an Architect. We will also reimburse the Architect's, Consulting Engineer's and Surveyor's fees, subject to a maximum of 3% of the Claim amount.
What is under insurance? How do I ensure the Sum Insured chosen by me is adequate?
The Sum Insured chosen by you should reflect the actual cost that will be incurred by you to reconstruct the home / flat completely, in the event of a total loss.

This cost can be arrived at by multiplying the actual square feet area of your house (eg 1000 sq ft) in to the present day cost of construction per sq ft (which is around Rs2,500/- today)

As per the above example, the Sum Insured comes to Rs 25 lakhs.

If this house were to be under insured for a Sum Insured of Rs 12.5 lakhs instead, then there will be a reduction in the claim settlement which will be in proportion to the percentage of under insurance. If the claim amount is Rs 10 lakhs in this case, we will settle only Rs 5 lakhs (as there is a 50% under insurance)

The sum insured chosen by you should not be based on the loan value, but on the actual cost of reconstruction.(excluding the land value) 
Calculate Premium
Select a Product

Interested in Home Shield?

Please provide your details and we will call you!

* Mandatory Fields