Traveling with family is fun as it adds more excitement to the holiday and adds more value to the travel. Although, sometimes such fun can turn into a disaster if not planned properly. Therefore, you must look in to every smaller detail so that you and your family do not waste time while traveling. Also, one of the most important things you need to do is to buy an adequate travel insurance policy.
A travel insurance is a type of insurance that covers you and your belongings against mishap or unforeseen situations such as emergency medical expenses, loss of baggage, loss of passport, etc. There are several different types of travel insurance policies available in the market. Some of them are –
- Leisure trip – This is a comprehensive travel insurance plan for a holiday overseas.
- Multi-trip – This travel insurance plan is for business travelers who take multiple trips in a year. The minimum entry age for policyholders is 18 years and maximum entry age is 70 years.
- Asia trip – This type of travel insurance plan is for people traveling within Asian countries.
- Student trip – It’s a very useful plan for students who are going abroad for higher studies. In a foreign land, he/she could face certain problems such as study interruption, loss of laptop, Suicide, drug or alcohol addiction, thus insurance protection is much required. The duration of this plan can be from 1 to 7 years.
- Senior citizen policy – This type of travel insurance is for old parents (senior citizens) who want to travel abroad. It covers them against unforeseen emergencies. The plan is available for people who are aged 71 years and above.
What’s covered under the policy?
Here’s a list of things that are covered under travel insurance plan –
- Medical expenses
- Loss of passport
- Trip curtailment
- Loss or delay of checked-in baggage
- Missed connections/missed departures
- Hijacking benefits
- Personal liability benefit
- Trip cancellation
- Emergency cash advance
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Trip delay benefit
- Compassionate visit
- Daily cash allowance
Travel insurance is a necessity. Therefore, do not just buy a travel insurance plan suggested by your friend, family or any agent. You must go through the plans available, do proper research, and then decide on the policy that best suits your needs. Thus, listed below are the few things you need to consider before buying a travel insurance plan for family –
- Look for the inclusions and exclusions of the plan: This is a significant part of any travel insurance policy. Thus, one must read the policy document carefully before buying the travel insurance plan. Do not just settle for a plan with lesser premium, check for both inclusions and exclusions of the plan.
- Trip cancellation coverage: One of the biggest problems that travelers face while traveling is trip cancellation. This can happen for any reason like natural calamity, technical fault, weather issue, etc. While going on holidays, we spend a major part of our money on flight ticket booking, thus this can be saved if your travel insurance plan has got trip cancellation coverage. So, you must check for trip cancellation coverage before buying the travel insurance plan.
- Check for service and claim history: This is yet another important thing you need to check before buying a travel insurance plan for your family. What is the benefit of such travel insurance policy that doesn’t pay your claims on time? Thus, you must check for the insurance company’s service and claims history before buying the plan. Also, it is advisable to choose a plan that has the easiest claim settlement process. Having knowledge about your insurance company’s claim settlement process will help you get your claim on time. Other than this, you need to look for services like 24*7 toll-free helpline, network hospitals, emergency assistant services etc., before buying the plan.
- Provide complete information to the insurer: It is important to inform your insurance company about all the possible countries that you will be traveling to. The reason behind this is the sum assured and coverage option that differs in certain situations. Also, it is important to inform your insurance company about pre-existing diseases, alcohol/drug habits etc.
- Know all the complex terminologies: This is also one of the significant things you need to know before buying the plan. Before buying the travel insurance policy, you must get familiar with the terminologies like deductible, premium, coverage limit, etc. As this will help you to avoid any kind of hassles and confusion in the future.
Now that you know some of the most amazing tips for buying travel insurance, it’s advisable to go through them before signing on the dotted line. Hence, do not settle for the cheapest policy that is available in the market, do proper research and choose the one that best suits your needs. Besides, for those who want to buy travel insurance plan online , Chose Royal Sundaram General Insurance Company Travel Secure plans. It offers comprehensive travel insurance plans at affordable prices.