Everything else seems to fade into the background when you are cruising on your favourite bike. But, before you take your bike on the road for a spin, it is vital to get protective gear for yourself. Whether you are a new rider or have been riding for a long time, motorcycle protective gear is a must-have investment as it serves two purposes: comfort and protection.
There are plenty of options that offer protection, functionality, and add to your fashion quotient. This can sometimes make it overwhelming to sift through the different types of riding gear. We will help you with a few tips that can make your search for the best bike protective gear a whole lot easier.
How to choose the best bike protective gear?
- Head protection
When it comes to protective gear, the first thing to keep in mind is buying a helmet. Helmets are not only mandatory according to the country’s traffic laws, but they are also one of the most important things you will need on the road. Three types of helmets are commonly available in India, these are:
- Full Face Helmet: These helmets offer all-round protection for your head and face as they cover the top, back, and sides of your face. They also feature a visor that helps in keeping your eyes safe.
- Three-fourth Helmet: These helmets are similar to full-face ones but do not offer complete facial coverage. They have a flip-down type of visor that comes in a variety of colours.
- Half Helmet: These helmets only cover the top of your head and offer partial cover to the sides and back. They usually come without visors, so you would have to buy alternative protection for your eyes.
- Torso and arms protection
Regardless of the weather or the length of your journey, wearing a jacket can make your ride more secure. A good jacket should fit comfortably without being too bulky or big. Riding jackets usually have long sleeves and are wider across the shoulders as they need to fit comfortably while you are in the riding position. Riders are advised to wear abrasion-resistant fabrics or leather to keep them safe in case of a crash.
You can also consider buying full-body suits instead of a jacket as they will give you protection for your legs as well as the torso. Suits usually come in one-piece or two-piece sets and are amazing when it comes to protection, ventilation, and waterproofing.
- Foot and ankle protection
Boots designed for riders have certain special features, keeping safety in mind. These boots usually extend above the ankle and come with built-in ankle protection, oil-resistant soles, and increased torsional stiffness. Getting your foot trapped under the motorcycle is among the most common injuries that can occur while riding. This is why boots made for riders are sturdy to protect the ankle bone.
- Hand protection
In case of a fall, you are likely to throw your hands out as a natural reaction. This makes biking gloves very important. Leather is a great choice when it comes to offering padding and protection, but you can also pick textile blends that provide abrasion protection with waterproofing. Just remember, gloves need to fit your hands snugly and comfortably. Oversized gloves will make it difficult to manoeuvre levers and buttons while riding.
- Insurance protection
While buying bike protective gear, it is easy to forget to get an insurance cover for your bike and accessories. Like the gear, an insurance policy will also offer extended protection to you as well as your ride. Two-wheeler insurance by Royal Sundaram can offer a myriad of benefits like:
- Quick and efficient claim settlements within 10 working days.
- Comprehensive coverage that covers liabilities arising from damage or loss of two-wheeler, damages to third-party property, accessories, and life.
- Personal Accident cover up to ₹15 lakhs in case of an accident.
- Seamless 3-step Insta Renew facility for quick policy renewal.
Now that you are all geared up to buy your motorcycle protective gear take your time with each piece and remember that your accessories are an investment. Ride safe!