TWO-WHEELER INSURANCE IN INDIA
The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 introduced two-wheeler insurance in India. This insurance segment is regulated by the Insurance and Regulatory Development Authority of India (https://www.irdai.gov.in/). Two-wheeler insurance protects your bike against damage, loss, theft, and covers any damages caused to a third party by the insured vehicle. It also provides owner-driver insurance that pays reimbursement in case of severe injury or death of the owner.
Bike insurance in India is of two types based on the nature and extent of coverage provided by it.
- Comprehensive two-wheeler Insurance – insures the vehicle, the owner-driver and covers damages to third parties.
- Third-party two wheeler insurance – only covers the damages caused to a third party.
HOW TO BUY BIKE INSURANCE ONLINE
Bike insurance policies can be purchased or renewed online through the official website of the insurance provider or other third-party websites that provide the services. These websites allow you to compare the features and prices of the insurance policies of different insurance companies and buy the one that best suits your requirements.
Applying for a bike insurance policy online helps you to seamlessly calculate the insurance amount and the premium so that you can compare multiple service providers and choose the one best for you. To arrive at the right figures for bike insurance, you need the following data –
- Registration number of the two-wheeler
- Manufacturing Year
- Registration City
- Make and Model of the vehicle
- Status of your previous policy (Active/non-active)
- Mobile number
- No claim bonus
- Net-Banking details to pay for the policy
TWO-WHEELER INSURANCE ONLINE RENEWAL AFTER EXPIRY
A recent directive from the Supreme Court of India has made it mandatory to own a 5-year policy for all two-wheelers purchased after 01/09/2018. The policy has to be bought at the time of purchase of the vehicle and failure to do so can attract heavy penalties.
For renewal of existing policies, just before the expiration of the policy term, you can renew the cover on the web portal of the insurer under the relevant section. The renewal should be done before the expiration date to avoid inspection charges.
Documents required for renewal of bike insurance policy –
- Current policy for reference
- Registration Certificate of the insured two-wheeler vehicle, Make and Model, year of purchase.
- A debit card or Net Banking details.
When you renew your bike insurance online, you can either continue with the same insurance company or change your insurance provider. You can also add, modify or remove the add-ons available with the policy.
Steps to renew your bike insurance policy online –
- Go to the website of the insurance provider and on the home page select “Insurance” & “Two-wheeler insurance.”
- Then select the appropriate window from “Other company renewal,” or “same company renewal.” Input all the relevant information as prompted by the screen.
- Select the add-ons you want with your base policy. Some companies offer “Personal Accident Cover” with even third-party bike insurance. There is an add-on of “Pillion Rider Cover” as well.
- The system will then display the renewal premium applicable to you. The premium for bike insurance renewal depends upon the type of policy selected by you.
- Proceed to the payment section. You can pay for your policy through NetBanking or Debit/ Credit cards. Many Insurance companies also have tie-ups with different payment gateways and payment apps. There are various cashback and discount offers applicable to the various payment methods. Choose the payment method applicable to you and make the payment.
- The system generates a new policy number and a virtual policy document for you for the renewed policy term. You can download the document and keep a safe copy for your reference. A hard copy of the policy document is also dispatched to you by the company.
Keep your policy number and policy document safely. It contains the start date and end date of your policy and helps you to keep track of your renewal date.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF ONLINE BIKE INSURANCE RENEWAL
- Online renewal reduces the time taken for the processes, eliminates tedious paperwork and the hassles of visiting the insurance office.
- When you buy and renew policies online, the insurance companies send you regular updates regarding your policy through SMS or email. This helps you to renew the policy on time and thus, ensure the safety of your vehicle.
- Ideally, you should try and renew your policy two months before renewal. If you renew your policy well before the due date, you can enjoy continuation benefits from the insurance company.