For buying a new policy call 094444 48899. For customer service call 1860 425 0000.

Royal Sundaram iTalk

insurance blog from Royal Sundaram

What Is The Process Involved in Two-Wheeler Ownership Transfer?

Posted by Royal Sundaram on 02 May 2018


Are you just entering college? First year in the workforce? Then a two-wheeler is something that will help you throughout your journey. It’s convenient to ride and park, simpler to maintain than a four-wheeler, and fun to use.

While you can visit a showroom, and buy a brand-new model, a second-hand piece is not too bad. Most second-hand dealers and individuals sell these two-wheelers after a thorough inspection. For a low rate, you can buy one that is as good as new. One point to remember before you proceed is documentation. They are essential to ensure a proper ownership transfer. Here is how you do it:-

  1. 1. Select a two-wheeler model

    . Take it out for a test drive, get it inspected by a third-party individual, and ask the seller all types of questions you can.

  2. 2. Documentation required for Two-Wheeler Ownership Transfer

Once you have selected a model, here are the documents and paperwork you need to complete.

  • a. Registration Certificate: Mandatory for the seller to hand it over to the buyer at the time of purchase. It certifies that the two-wheeler belongs to the seller.
  • b. Pollution Certificate: A vehicle gets a certification stating that the vehicle meets the pollution control standards. Mandatory for each vehicle.
  • c. Insurance Certificate: Mandatory for all two-wheelers plying on Indian roads. Without it, the RTO will not register the vehicle. Upon receiving, contact the insurer and transfer the two-wheeler insurance ownership.

Documents needed for two-wheeler transfer in normal sale and purchase:

  • • Form 29 must be filled along with the signature copy of the seller
  • • If the two wheeler is brought from RTO, then one needs to produce an NOC. If the two-wheeler is transferred from a different state, then you need to produce the NOC of entry tax. In this case, the vehicle should be less than 30 months old.
  • • You need to submit the copy of original RC, tax paid receipts, passport sized photographs, tax paid receipts to the seller.
  • • If the seller is buying a two wheeler on loan, then an NOC by the financier or banker needs to be produced to the registering authority during the time of transfer

Documents needed for two-wheeler transfer in case of the death of the owner:

  • • Both the parties need to sign form 30 and form 31
  • • You need to fill form TCA and TCR if it’s a transport vehicle like trucks, lories, etc.
  • • You need the death certificate of the owner
  • • You have to submit the original RC, tax paid receipts, insurance, emission test, passport sized photographictures, address proof of the seller, etc. According to the Central Motor Vehicles Rule, these documents have to be submitted along with a registration fee to the registration authority.
  1. 3. Important Forms for Bike Ownership Transfer

Apart from documents, there are important forms that are necessary for a bike ownership transfer. The list of documents that the seller has to submit is mentioned below:

  • a. Three copies of Form 28 is No Objection certificate
  • b. Two copies of Form 29 notifies the RTO about the two-wheeler sale.
  • c. Two copies of Form 30 to the RTO. Buyer needs to submit this.


Step-by-step guide to follow for transfer of ownership of the two wheeler –

Here’s a step-by-step guide to follow for the transfer of ownership of the two wheeler –

  • o The buyer must submit an application form for the transfer of two wheeler’s ownership at the same RTO where the two wheeler was registered earlier
  • o Submit form no. 29 and form no. 30 at the directorate of transport office along with other original documents such as tax paid receipts, RC, insurance, passport sized photograph, address proof of the seller, etc.
  • o Just after the verification from the registering authority, the ownership documents and two wheeler insurance documents will be transferred to the new owner within a period of 14 days.
  • o If both the buyers and sellers reside in the same state, then the buyer needs to provide all the transfer details to the registration authority within two weeks. And if in case, both the parties reside in different states, then the buyer will only have the time of 45 days so as to report to the registering authority about all the details related to the transfer.
  • o If the owner of the two wheeler dies due to any mishap or unfortunate incident, then the buyer of 2-wheeler should inform the registering authority along with the required documents and death certificate. After all this, you can apply for an ownership transfer within three months.

Things to be done while transferring the ownership of your two-wheeler

Whenever you want to dispose your two wheeler, there are certain things that you should be careful about. Transferring the ownership of your vehicle also involves the transfer of all the relevant documents to the new owner. One of the most important things involved are transfer of ownership and transfer of two-wheeler insurance policy. Following are the things to be done while transferring the ownership of your two wheeler

  • • Handover all the vehicle-related documents: There are certain documents that are required while transferring the ownership of your two wheeler. All the vehicle related documents such as Form 28 i.e. no objection certificate, Form 29 (transfer of ownership), Form 30(intimation or transfer report), and a copy of your two-wheeler insurance policy. RC and PUC are to be transferred to the buyer of the two wheeler.
  • • Inform the RTO: You need to inform the RTO while making the sale. With the transfer of all of the above mentioned documents, the ownership will be transferred.

What is the two wheeler ownership transfer fees?

After submitting all the documents to the RTO officer, who will verify all your details and put his signature on the application form. You need to pay a certain fee and submit all your documents to the clerk. The clerk will then provide you with an acknowledgment receipt.

While these are the most important documents, make sure they are genuine. Ask for original copies and soft copies for verification. Once you are satisfied, go ahead with the purchase.

Other Related Articles:

Related Post

Join over 25,000

of your peers and receive our italk (insurance talk) newsletter with actionable advice on travel, motor, health and home needs right in your inbox!

*We won't spam you, promise

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *