Hernia Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment & Insurance | Royal Sundaram
We will be covering the following:
- Hernia Symptoms
- Hernia Diagnosis
- Hernia Treatment & Cost in India
- Health Insurance in India
- Other Diseases
A hernia is a medical condition in which there is a weakness in the muscular structure of the wall of the abdomen. An abdominal organ can break through the weakened area, thereby causing a bulge in the abdominal wall.
Most Hernias occur in the Abdominal region, but upper thigh and groin areas are also vulnerable to develop such a condition.
Not all Hernia cases are life-threatening, but they do require medical attention. Some cases may also require surgery to prevent serious complications.
One of the major causes of Hernia is muscle weakness and strain that can be developed due to multiple reasons such as injury, pregnancy, obesity etc. Moreover, a personal or family history of hernias can also increase the risk of this condition in an individual.
Some of the common types of Hernias include inguinal hernia, umbilical hernia, ventral hernia, Hiatal hernia. All the above mentioned are types of abdominal hernia.
Diagnosing conditions like Hernia can be complicated as most cases have no symptoms. However, sometimes the below symptoms may help in early diagnosis. Read on!
- A bulge or lump in the affected area
- Discomfort or pain in the area around the bulge
- Hiatal hernias may have symptoms like Heartburn, chest pain etc.
- A firm swelling that cannot be pushed back in the abdomen
- Pain, vomiting, and nausea are some of the other symptoms that may occur due to Hernia
- A Hernia is most likely to be felt when you are standing up, bending down or coughing
Physical examination by a doctor is usually the first step in the process of diagnosing a hernia. During the physical examination, your doctor may feel a bulge or a lump in your abdominal region that gets larger when you stand up. The doctor will also take your medical history into consideration by asking questions about the health history of your family, other symptoms that you may have noticed, your lifestyle etc.
To further aid the diagnosis process, your doctor may use imaging tests such as abdominal ultrasound, CT scan or MRI scan. If Hernia is suspected in the above tests, other advance procedures such as endoscopy may be used to assess the affected location in your stomach.
Hernia Treatment & Cost in India
- If your Hernia is growing larger and causing major discomfort, then your doctor may recommend you undergo surgery. The surgical procedure includes sewing a hole in the abdominal wall to repair the hernia. The hole is generally patched using the surgical mesh.
- The most advanced surgery to repair a hernia is laparoscopic surgery. It requires only a few incisions to insert a tiny camera and small surgical equipment to repair the Hernia. The main advantage of this procedure is that it is less damaging to the surrounding tissues.
- Some Hernias may require an open surgical operation. In such a case, your doctor will discuss the case with you to figure out which is the best suitable surgery type and what are the precautions that you need to take.
The cost of Hernia surgery and treatment will vary depending on the type of surgery and the quality of the treatment. For the best Hernia treatment in a private hospital, you may have to spend up to Rs 1 lakh.
Insurance in India
Whether it is a treatment for a minor health condition or a surgical procedure, medical costs in India are constantly on the rise. To be able to afford treatment of hernia with quality facilities, it is best to avail a health insurance policy in India. There are many benefits of availing a health policy; some of them are mentioned below:
- Good health policy will cover all your medical expenses to prevent causing a dent in your finances.
- Health insurance coverage offers compensation for pre and post hospitalization, diagnostic procedures, cost of medicines, cover for family and much more.
- Most health policies offer cashless claim, which means your health insurance provider will directly pay your hospital bills.
- Coverage of diseases may vary from policy to policy and provider to provider. Ensure that you read all policy coverage documents carefully to avail the one that best suits your needs and budget.
Apart from surgical procedures that treat Hernia, many other diseases are covered under a Health insurance policy. Critical illnesses that cost a fortune are also covered under comprehensive health plans. Some of the disease covered are as follows:
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Most diseases that require hospitalization
Some of the treatment procedures that are not covered under a health plan are cosmetic procedures, dental treatment etc.
Do not forget to check with your insurance provider for a detailed understanding of health insurance coverage.